Many people gave up the idea of using a folding bike because it might look awkward for very tall and heavy riders. If you are in the same situation, Dahon actually has some bigger folding bikes for you and the Dahon IOS S9 is one of them.
Specifications and Features
- Colors: Black and Orange
- Folded Dimensions: 34″ x 30″ x 15.5″ (86.4 x 76.2 x 39.4 cm)
- Weight: 28.6 lbs (12.97 kg)
- Speeds: 9
- Frame: Hydroformed Dalloy Aluminum with forged lattice hinge
- Fork: Dalloy Aluminum
- Tires: Schwalbe Kojak 24″ x 1.5″
- Rims: 24″ Aluminum Semi Aero Double Wall
- Front hub: DAHON Disc 100 mm, 32 Hole
- Rear hub: DAHON Disc 135 mm, 32 Hole
- Cranks: Forged Alloy 53 Tooth Chainring
- Bottom bracket: Sealed Bearing
- Handlepost:Forged Alloy Radius Telescope with Fusion and Flatpak Technology
- Handlebar: 6061 Double Butted Aluminum Flat Bar
- Rear derailleur: DAHON Super Compact Neos 9
- Shifter: DAHON Neos Twist Shifter
- Brakes: Winzip Mech Disc,160/160 Rotors
- Brake levers: Avid BL FR5
- Seatpost: DAHON Custom 6061 Aluminum, 33.9 mm x 580 mm with Biologic Post Pump
- Suggested Rider Height: 4’8″-6’5″ (142-195 cm)
- Maximum Rider Weight: 230 lbs (105 kg)
- Shipping weight: 38 lbs
- Box dimensions: 17″ x 34″ x 29″
The Dahon IOS S9 and the newer Dahon IOS D9 have almost the same design and materials. Many people thought that the bigger wheels will make the bike cumbersome to carry around. However, Dahon managed to make the IOS bike quite lightweight and compact. The Flatpak technology allows us to fold down the handlebar to have a narrow shape (approximately 7 inches wide) or you can fold it fully for more compact size. The bike weighs just over 28 lbs which is amazing because it is lighter than many smaller folders. Notably, it still can perfectly inside my car trunk.
The bigger wheels obviously have some advantages in riding experience. I can stay on the IOS bike for an hour without feeling any discomfort. The bike performs better when I ride a long distance without stopping. This is not a fast bike but you will really appreciate the comfort it delivers, you won’t be able to hear loud noises when dealing with bumps or potholes.
Besides, this is also my first folding bike equipped with disc brakes and I’m pretty amazed at how responsive they are. However, you might need some tune-up before riding the bike. My bike arrived assembled but the disc brakes were misaligned. Dahon also recommends to go for a tune-up at a professional shop.
- Quite lightweight and compact
- The big 24-inch wheels deliver impressive comfort for riders
- Durable and sturdy frame
- Disc brakes are responsive
- Some adjustments are required before the first ride
- No fenders
This Dahon IOS S9 is a combination of the compact size of a folding bike and the high performance of full-size bikes. We recommend the bike.
Disclosure: I might earn commission from qualifying purchases. We use the commission to maintain the website, buy new products and create content for free, so thank you!