Dahon is undoubtedly the biggest folding bike manufacturer on Earth, it is even more obvious at my store as more than 80% of customers purchase Dahon bikes. However, most of their bikes are priced at over $400 and they are unaffordable for many people.
That’s why Dahon Boardwalk S1 is released and it becomes the cheapest Dahon folding bike ever. How does the bike perform and why is it cheaper than the rest? Let’s find out in the review.
Specifications & Features
- Color: Black (Obsidian)
- Weight: 27.6 lbs (12.5 kg)
- Folded dimensions: 29.5″ x 26.0″ x 12.6″ (75 x 66 x 32 cm)
- Speeds: 1
- Frame: HT Series, Hi-Tensile steel.
- Fork: Steel
- Tires: K-193 20 x 1.5″
- Rims: Aluminum
- Handlepost: D Type, steel, unadjustable
- Handleset: 6061-T6 ALLOY
- Grips: XH-G49
- Saddle: VL4022A
- Seatpost: Alloy, 580 mm Alloy
- Front Brake: Promax Silver V-Brake
- Rear Brake: coaster brake
- Brake levers: right only, DHL-10P
- Front hub: AE-20.1F 5/16 x 14G x 28H x 74 x 115
- Rear hub: KT-305R (B) 3/8 x 14G x 28H x 110 x 150 mm
- Bottom bracket: CH-302
- Spokes: steel
- Crankset: 1/2″ x 1/8″ x 44T x 170, Steel
- Chain: KMC Z-410
- Pedals: NW-319 Plastic Folding
- Kickstand: aluminum
- Rear rack: ARC Rack
- Mudguards: SKS Mini 20
- Suggested Rider Height: 4’8″ – 6’4″ (142 – 193 cm)
- Maximum Rider Weight: 230 lbs (105 kg)
- Shipping carton weight: 36 lbs (16.5 kgs)
- Box dimensions: 33″ x 25.8″ x 10.6″ (84 x 65.5 x 27 cm)
When I took the Boardwalk S1 out of the box, I was immediately impressed with its clean design and compact folded size. However, it is heavier than I expected, probably because Dahon includes a rear rack, mudguards and uses the HiTensil frame. This is not a high-quality frame material, moreover, the frame tube looks very thin. Therefore, I won’t recommend you to ride the bike on long commute or uneven terrains.
Similar to the Mu Uno, Dahon uses only one brake lever for this bike as there is a rear coaster brake as well. As I already rode the Speed Uno and Mu Uno before, I could get used to the coaster brake in no time.
Folding and unfolding the bike fairly easy, the only problem is that there is no locking mechanism, so you will need to use the included strap to secure the two wheels when folding the bike. It will take more time but totally acceptable for a low-budget folder.
Besides, the Boardwalk is a singlespeed, so it is not a fast bike. You might need to get off the bike and walk uphill. This is understandable because the Boardwalk is designed for urban commuters who just need a simple bike for short commutes.
- Clean and compact design
- Low price
- Rear rack and fenders are included
- Not a fast bike
- Cheap frame material
- No wheel-locking mechanism
The Dahon Boardwalk is the most affordable folding bike by Dahon and it is not a bad choice at all, especially when you are an occasional rider or just need to ride a couple of miles per day in the city.
Buy Dahon Boardwalk on Amazon
Disclosure: I might earn commission from qualifying purchases. We use the commission to maintain the website, buy new products and create content for free, so thank you!
Where can i buy a replacement back wheel as the spokes have snapped and buckled the wheel